Monday 1 February 2016

Glitter at Mixed Media Monthly

Hello all, happy February!! Here is my second project for today, a door hanger for Mixed Media Monthly, where are theme this months is "Add Some Glitter".
Glitter you say, - where's the glitter??? Well I'll come to that in a moment, but let me first tell you that our sponsor this month is The Frantic Stamper, who are sponsoring our challenge with a $25 gift voucher yay!! For those of you in the US, The Frantic Stamper is one of the few places that have a full range of Paper Artsy products, and it's their product I have mostly used in this project.
I started by painting my hanger with a mix of Squid Ink and French Roast Fresco Finish paint. When dry I added a thin layer of Paper Artsy Crackle Glaze just around the edges and then finished with a top coat of two new colours, Sour Grapes and Pixy Dust. After the crackle did its magic and I distressed the edges, it looked like you can see above.
If you are not sure how to do this exactly, Leandra (owner of Paper Artsy) has a wonderful video demonstrating the technique, you can see it HERE
Here you can see the crackle a bit better and I just love how when you distress the edges, you almost get the effect of a whole other layer.
One of the things I love about the PA paints is that they are brilliant for stamping with. Above you can see how I stamped a script back ground stamp (Hot Picks HP1501EZ) with a mix of Pixy Dust and Snowflake..
I finished my hanger by stamping this Lynne Perrella (LPC017), straight onto the background with Versafine Ink in black. I coloured her partly with the paints and partly with coloured pencils. I paper pieced the medallions and the star shape behind her head by painting to pieces of paper with Gold Fresco paint and White Fire Fresco paint. I then stamped them again in Versafine, fussy cut them and glued them in place.

The word Believe from the same Lynne Perella stamp set was stamped with Squid Ink and adhered underneath.
A wooden embellishment, coloured with the same paint and highlighted with Treasure Gold White Fire
And a flower (Prima) from my stash and left over from another project, finished it all off.

Now what about the glitter> Well, I added some Tim Holtz Distress Glitter Dust in Vintage Platinum was added to both medallions and the flower, but the days have been so dark here recently, that really it was impossible to have them clearly show up on the photos, so you'll just have to trust me, - it is there!
So here is my finished doorhanger for my studio, I think I will adopt the lady as my muse....

Thank you so much for visiting today, do make sure you hope over to the MMM blog to see the amazing projects my team mates have made, and of course you will find all the details of our challenge there too.

Have a fantastic month and stay creative and happy!!

42 comments:

brenda said...

Really like the rich plumy purple colours Astrid and that flower is just beautiful with it's glitter encrusted centre.

B x

Words and Pictures said...

Beautiful hanging - and she'll make a splendid muse! The colours are so rich, and I love the subtle use of the glitter, as well as all that lovely distressing and gilding.
Alison xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Fantastic project, love all the details, hugs, Valerie

Pamellia said...

Gorgeous Astrid. Love the purple on top of the black, and the crackle effect around the outside really DOES look like there's two layers! Love it! hugs :)

Jennie Atkinson said...

Stunning Astrid! love the colours and the crackle effect, but oh oh that flower is just gorgeous! Jennie x

froebelsternchen said...

An amazing project Astrid! Gorgeous!
oxo Susi

Ann Marie Governale said...

What a great project. I love it and thank you so much for linking the tutorial.. learned so much. Cannot wait to give this a try. Beautiful. Just love how you can stamp on top of the paint...
xxx Ann Marie

scrapwordsmom said...

I LovE how shabby and vintage this is!! Thanks for sharing the process and I LOVE your work!

Unknown said...

I SEE IT... yes indeedy I do!!! Lovely project Astrid. My fav part is seeing the black on the edges... great technique. j.

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

I can see the glitter! Beautiful!

Candy C said...

Hi Astrid!! Thanks so much for your thumbs up on my Kate Crane style journal. That means a lot. Your door hanger is pretty. I am not much of a purple lover but your hanger really is appealing. Love your glitter. The black edges really do finish off and frame the hanger nicely.

Juliz Design Post said...

Gorgeous shabby design and yes I can see the glitter.
Hugs, Julie x

rachel said...

this looks beautiful - I adore that its one layer - fabulous work Astrid xx

Meggymay said...

A beautiful door hanger. Yes I can see how she could become your muse.
Yvonne xx

Patty O'Malley said...

Awesome door hanger!

Brenda Brown said...

Fabulous techniques and layers, I am not a mauve person but this looks amazing. xxx

Deborah Wainwright said...

Love love love this door hanger Astrid and using my favourite Acrylics too. Great choice of colour and I love the crackle. Fabulous hugs Debs xx

mamablitger said...

Astrid your doorhanger is amazing !! You did an excellent job. I love the way you used the stamps. And the colors and crackle look fabulous.
You are such a talented artist. I love your art so much.
Thank you for sharing. I always feel inspired by seeing your art.
Hugs from Monica... Spain

Jackie PN said...

Absolutely Gorgeous!! The background and its peeling paint is just delicious Astrid!! And the stamped girl with the design behind her reminds me of Art Deco- very very cool!!!!I just love this! xoxo

Fukiai GV atvirukai said...

Love your work!Colors, details...all so inspirational!

Maryann Laursen said...

As always you´ve just done an amazing job here on this doorhanger, and the result is amazing and sooo beautiful.

Redanne said...

I really must get the squid ink, just for the name! It looks beautiful as the base colour and the crackled edges look amazing. This lady will make a wonderful muse for your studio! Hugs, Anne xx

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful project Astrid! What a wonderful door hanger! The shimmery details add a wonderful touch!

Terry said...

Love this door hanger, so pretty and such a lovely color! I can see the shimmer, so I believe you about the hiding glitter! Hugs!

Deb said...

Wonderful Astrid, love the colours and that lovely lady, she will make a perfect muse! Deb xo

KarenB said...

It's always so difficult to photograph glitter elements. I can see the shimmer, and it's beautiful!

Dorthe said...

Wonderful door hanger, the way you crackles and distressed the edges looks gorgeous, Astrid, and I love the gold and glitter effects around the lovely face.
XXO

Boozybear said...

the background is fantastic all the little details and layers.

Almo said...

Fabulous colours on your door hanging Astrid, I love the distressed edges thanks for the link. I am not a glitter girl normally, but I do like your TICKLE of glitter within the flower and on your lady. Mo x

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is fabulous and your lady will be a great muse! I love the colours and the subtle glittery touch! Hugs, Chrisx

sarascloset said...

I had to do a double take when I saw the name of that purple paint! And I didn't have to do a double take to see the dusting of glitter- so fine and fabulous it is! What a wonderful muse, and I do love that crackle on the edges. Looks old and chipped, just the way I like it! Hugs!

Unknown said...

Hi Astrid, that's one gorgeous door hanger with a great distressed look. Always just love your projects. Beautiful.

Lys said...

A beautiful hanger. I especially love the colour: my favourite! I love the textures and the crackle effects.

Suzanne C said...

Gorgeous muse! She will definitely inspire you to continue to create fabulous art!

Maria Lillepruun said...

so lovely vintage!

Lilian said...

What an awesome hanger!

Curls N Twirls said...

What an Amazing Project !!. I saw the glitter in the first snap itself .. Wow ..I loved the Paper artsy paint and the crackled effect too ..
Remya

Senna said...

Fantastic work with a very special shape and wonderful design!

Unknown said...

As I love the colors and textures of her !! project they are fabulous as vintage image !!. Thank you very much for the inspiration and tutorial !!
A hug!! :)

Unknown said...

woww!! I just love the color...thanks for the tutorial :)

CarolynLakin said...

love the colours, purples & lilacs are my fav :)
Carolyn x

Grá O'Neill said...

Beautiful project, love the colours & all the distressing :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key